Sunday, February 19, 2006

PhotoBlog Experiment #3: Getting Around Middlesex/Surrey

Sunbury served as my home throughout my entire stay in the United Kingdom. It is located in the Greater London area, approximately 45 minutes by train to London proper. There is a residential/semi-commercial feel to Sunbury and it really feels like you live in a very big village in the country side. Here are some of the few things that you can do in and around Middlesex/Surrey:


SHOPPING!!!

My favorite shopping destination in Middlesex is Kingston. Every Thursday nights, I usually jump on the 4:12 train from Sunbury to Kingston to take advantage of the late closing hours of the stores. My favorite shopping place - H&M, Donna Perkins, Marks and Spencers, Topshop (they have helluva sale all the time!!!), and of course I love doing my groceries at Sainsbury. To cap the night, I almost always treat myself to a nice dinner at Nando's, by the riverbank (my favorite is Peri-Peri Chicken - Mild)... This is one of the things I miss most. I just love the food here! Another shopping destination is Staines although its a little bit farther than Kingswood, thus I only go there on weekends. I love it - especially H. Samuel. It's a watch store that sells timepieces on sale almost all the time! (Well, at least, on both times I went there) - I got 4 new watches in a span of 1 month :-)


Movies @ The Odeon

It's a little bit expensive to watch movies anywhere in the UK. A film that has been running for 3-6 weeks would usually cost around 6-10 Pounds sterling (approximately Php 600-1000 - exchange rate is Php 98 to 1 Pound when I was there). Still the experience is different so I agreed to go with my friend to watch "Love Actually" - a very British movie played by Hugh Grant. The experience was quite fun, probably because I was actually watching an English film in an English environment.


Party!!!

There are loads of party places in the UK that you could go to. Unfortunately, they are soooo expensive and they easily turn me off - my philosophy being - I don't want to pay to get a headache the next day. But if you're someone who's nightlife is on full swing, definitely partying is something you shouldn't miss - Kingston and Staines both have amazing pubs and clubs that you can go to - loads of folks from the Uni go there so you just can't miss out on the fun!!! I saved the photos for this on a different section on my photoblog so you can check out the different kinds of party you get to experience on your London trip.



And last but not the least -

Taking yourself on a train adventure

This photo shows me on on my way home to catch the last train to my flat @ the white house on green street. Had I missed this train, I would have had to take the cab, which usually costs 15 pounds from Kingston. FYI - Train rides usually cost 2.52 pounds sterling for a return ticket to Kingston from Sunbury so you can just figure out the difference - do the math!



Finally, HOME SWEET HOME!!!

Nothing beats a long night just hanging out with a good friend, sipping wine at the whitehouse on green street! All the fun and excitement that you get from catching up on your life stories - stuff from back home and the things that London has to offer to an eager tourist! Truly, this experience - PRICELESS!

1 Comments:

Blogger nikinpos said...

JUst came across your blog.You are far from home and are living where I was brought up, I am living in Italy, so when I feel homesick I can lood at your photos...How I'd love to go shopping in Kingston again!!

11:08 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home